Accept scientificity as a distinct epistemic stance that epistemic agents can take towards theories. Also accept several questions concerning the definition of scientificity and the applicability of scientificity to other epistemic elements as legitimate topics of scientonomic inquiry.
It is currently accepted in scientonomy that epistemic agents can take three unique and independent stances towards theories, viz., acceptance, use, and pursuit. However, the history of science shows that an independent stance of scientificity (i.e., whether a theory is considered scientific or unscientific) has been taken by epistemic agents towards theories. The stance of scientificity can be taken independently of other stances, which is confirmed by numerous cases from the history of science, where a theory is considered scientific without being accepted, used, or pursued. Thus, we suggest that scientificity is a unique epistemic stance taken by epistemic agents towards theories.
Theories To Accept
- Epistemic Stances Towards Theories - Scientificity Acceptance Use and Pursuit (Sarwar-Fraser-2018): The list of possible stances towards a theory includes scientificity, acceptance, use, and pursuit.
Theories To Reject
- Epistemic Stances Towards Theories - Acceptance Use and Pursuit (Barseghyan-2015): The list of possible stances towards a theory includes acceptance, use, and pursuit.
Questions To Accept
- Scientificity: What is scientificity? How should it be defined?
- Scientificity of Methods: Can the epistemic stance of scientificity be taken towards methods? Can there be unscientific or pseudoscientific methods?
- Scientificity of Questions: Can the epistemic stance of scientificity be taken towards questions? Can there be unscientific or pseudoscientific questions?
This modification attempts to answer the following question(s):
- Epistemic Stances Towards Theories: What epistemic stances can be taken towards a theory?
The modification is currently being evaluated; a verdict is pending.
Click on the Discussion tab for comments.
- Sarwar, Ameer and Fraser, Patrick. (2018) Scientificity and The Law of Theory Demarcation. Scientonomy 2, 55-66. Retrieved from https://www.scientojournal.com/index.php/scientonomy/article/view/31275.